Thursday, July 30, 2009

Globe and Map Freak

Yes, that is what I am... I came across this party today at Project Wedding and immediately started trying to think about how and when I could justify having to have a globe themed party!


Double Click on the Photo to Enlarge

I thought this went well with my post a couple of days ago in regards to the map wrapping papers. I just have always loved maps. I think it dates back to family trips as a kid. My parents always let me have the map to look at and they bought me lots of books about the 50 states, and etc... I have always had a good sense of direction and my mom used to always tease, that if I had been there once, I would be able to get back again on my own.

The globe fascination, I think, has come about since I have started traveling the world. Round about the year 1999. Italy, our honeymoon, was my first trip out of the country. My whole life I lived about an hour and half from Mexico and had never even been there! We traveled plenty as a kid, but always in the U.S. Now I love traveling the world (particularly Europe and the Caribbean.) I haven't ventured out past there much. Really the only other location that just draws me is Australia, New Zealand, and the South Pacific. Once the girls get old enough, we will make that trip for sure! Outside of that...maybe Macchu Picchu....maybe Russia. I like to think I am adventurous, but I am really not....

Anyway, I digress....I also found these photos from Pottery Barn Kids and PB Teen. I love kids rooms that have lots of globes and maps. I plan on continuing to collect items for my girls and their rooms. I think it gives them a sense of wonder, a chance to dream about a far off place, and most importantly a knowledge that we are not the only ones on this planet. There is a whole world out there full of other people, other beliefs, other experiences, and it is important that we subject ourselves to it. It makes us more tolerant, knowledgeable, well-rounded individuals.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails