Sunday, January 17, 2010

La Mia Italia: Indian Food

Yes, that's right....Indian food. It has been awhile since I have posted under the La Mia Italia label, but last night's dinner inspired me to write about one of my favorite places to eat in Italy. Last night I went out with my brother and sister-in-law in Dallas to go eat Indian food and it was fantastic. Almost as fantastic as Rangoli in Milan.


My husband and I happened upon Rangoli in the theater district in Milan when we were in Italy in 2006 for the Olympics. We had been all over Northern Italy for two weeks and he had already been there a month prior to my arrival, so on our last night in Milan, we were tired of Italian food to say the least. Charlie asked me if I had ever had Indian food before and I had not. He had had it a handful of times and encouraged me to give it a try. I will say I was a bit timid and nervous about it and had no idea what to order on the menu at all. Luckily, Rangoli had a chef's menu that had a little of everything so we went with that. Top that off with some great Indian white wine and cheese naan (which you can't find many places) and it was one of the best meals I have ever had. Period. In fact it was so good, I would fly to Milan right now just to eat there if I could.

Now skip forward to the summer of 2007. We were vacationing in Cinque Terra and I was about 5-6 months pregnant and we found ourselves in the most steep hillside city of the group. Needless to say, that Cinque Terra is not the best local for a very pregnant woman to tour. I was tired of walking up and down the steep hills and felt like we had seen all there was to see a day earlier than we were scheduled to leave. So Charlie suggests, well since our next stop is Lake Como, then why don't we just leave tomorrow and spend a night in Milan and go have Indian food. SO it took me all of a second to agree to that plan and the next thing I knew we were sitting back in Rangoli and I was so excited. This time around we had our 3 year-old daughter with us, so we picked up a Happy Meal on the way, so she would have something to eat.




It was FABULOUS once again. We were a little nervous it might not be as good the second time around, but was it ever. I would only say my one disappointment was that they no longer had Indian wine. In fact, it is really hard to find Indian wine, but it was so good. So in summation...If you are ever in Milan, eat at Rangoli. Even if you are within the vicinity of Milan, make a special trip in to go eat here!

In case you are wondering, last night we ate at the India Palace in Dallas over on Preston and 635. Yummo! Highly recommend this place, as well. Last night we feasted (and I mean feasted...we had sooo much food) on lamb and veggie samosas, lamb and chicken tikka masala, chicken curry, chicken vindaloo, and malai kofta kashmiri, and garlic naan. Note: The chicken vindaloo will light your fire. Extremely hot. It was all so good and I had the left overs for lunch today!

3 comments:

Holly Lefevre said...

I really cannot say I have had a lot of Indian food....not a complete meal anyway. Sounds good...and that restaurant looks like perfection. I want to go to Italy and eat Indian food now.

Anonymous said...

After reading your reco about Indian Palace I took an out of town guest there last night and it was DELICIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will be back soon, thanks for posting about it.

The Lindleys said...

We LOVE Indian Palace....but I never know what to order for dinner. So, we always hit their lunch buffet! It's GREAT!!!!

Hope all is well with you and your family.

Related Posts with Thumbnails