Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Ice Day

I remember as a kid the excitement around cold weather. Living in Dilley, TX it was not very often that cold weather was an issue, but I guess that is what made it exciting! Now that I am older and have kids, I see both sides...On the one hand you want it to be fun for them and I find myself praying sometimes that it gets really bad just so they can have the experience, then on the other hand, you hate for school to close because you enjoy the free time! Well, last night we had a light ice storm that brought sleet and what appears to be a light dusting of snow, but it is hard as a rock if you touch it. School was canceled,(bummer) and Sarah was a little disappointed that it looked more fun than it actually was (double bummer). Lauren didn't even want to be outside, so no photos of her! I fear this might be our last little bit of winter since it has been so warm this year, but I am holding out hope that it will really snow at least once, just to see the joy on my girl's faces!
































A NOTE ON THE FONDUE.........

I had a couple of requests for my recipe for chocolate fondue that I wrote about last week. It is from Rachael Ray. Normally her stuff is a little weird, but this is pretty basic and pretty yummy!
Serves 4-6

3/4 cup heavy whipping cream, reserve 1/4 cup to thin the fondue if it thickens
4 bittersweet chocolate bars, chopped, 3 1/2 ounces each
2 TBS Frangelico or Amaretto liqueur, optional
1/4 cup finely chopped hazelnuts or almonds, optional

Heat 1/2 cup of heavy cream in a heavy non-reactive saucepot over moderate heat until cream comes to a low boil. Remove the pan from the heat and add the chocolate. Let it stand in hot cream for 3-5 minutes, then whisk it together. Stir in the liqueur and nuts if you want, then add it to your fondue bowl. If it becomes to thick, stir in the set aside cream 1 TBS at a time. We used pound cake, bananas, and strawberries for dipping.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails