Sunday, July 25, 2010

Dublin: Where to Eat

I think it is pretty safe to say that our favorite thing we did in Dublin, was EAT. We had a few great meals and I am going to share those with you.

The Favorite: Kinara
Type of Food: Indian/Pakistani


If you read my blog at all, you probably know my love of Indian food. So I was very excited when my mother-in-law found this place and suggested we go. It was a little outside of the city center, but so worth the little bit longer taxi ride. They totally accommodated our group of 14 and gave us a private table upstairs in a private room that had its own bar. (This was also prefect because I was able to smuggle in McDonald's for the kids without the whole restaurant being privy to the situation.)

What we ate:
Appetizers:
The brought us an assortment of the best lamb shanks we have ever had. BBQ'd to perfection and little on the spicy side. Also we had prawns, chicken, and aloo-tiki (potato cakes with garlic)! Yum!
I also had the Kinara signature martini to start. It tasted like a grapefruit!

Dinner:
Charlie and I split the chicken tikka masala (always a favorite) and the Nehari Gosht. It is a traditional Pakistani beef dish. Both were excellent. It was all served with an assortment of cheese, sweet, and regular naan.


The Chicken Tikka Masala came in these cute little red pots!


Dessert:
Most people had the assortment of mixed ice creams, but I had the Mississippi Mud Cake. Yes, you heard me right....that is why I had to get it. Do Indian/Pakistani people that live in Dublin know anything about Mississippi Mud?? The answer is NO. It cam out more like a chocolate chess pie. It was not the Mississippi Mud I grew up with. It was still good.

Yeah..not quite what I had envisioned.

My Irish coffee for my dessert with my dessert. Made with Jameson. Too strong for me. It did not get left undrinken (is that a word). With the McDonald family it was sure to find a happy home.

The view outside the restaurant. Gorgeous.

Restaurant #2 was called Millstone. This was a more traditional place that served more traditional items. They also had an early bird menu that was a great deal. You basically got 2-3 courses at a set price, so that was nice.


Starters:
We started with the garlic cheese bread...very good. Some people had salads which looked awesome. They were very much a traditional garden salad, which in Europe is sometimes hard to come by.
Main course:
Most people go the Chicken breast or the Beef with peppercorn sauce. Both looked amazing and I was a little bummed I had not ordered it too. However, I got the vegetable lasagna and it was very good.


Dessert:
We opted out of the dessert because on the way there we saw this place....

Yes, that is what it was. A milkshake bar. You basically select what you want and they whip it up. Sort of like a Blizzard, but better and not as thick.

The other place we ate at for lunch, and made many other stops at every time we walked by, was the Queen of Tarts. You know it has to be good just by the name alone. There were actually 2 locations, so either way we were walking we were sure to walk past. We stopped in mostly for the desserts. Macaroons, cheesecake, cupcakes, cookies, and of course tarts. The lemon meringue was a crowd favorite. We actually did eat here for lunch too one day. They had great sandwiches, salads, and soups. I had a potato and onion tart, that was a little dry, but very tasty!



My potato and red onion tart lunch.

Charlie's berry pie...the whipped cream was heavenly.



One last place to mention would be Bewley's. They are well known for their tea, but we stopped in for breakfast the morning we arrived. We got in about 8:30am, so of course our hotel rooms were not ready, so we walked down to Grafton Street and had a little breakfast. This was a great stop. They had regular breakfast items (like pancakes) which made it great for the kids, but they also had small Continental breakfasts with tea/coffee that were perfect for us. A nice place to hang out!




No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails